Thursday 2 August 2012

Battle of the Sexes

"Nobody will ever win the Battle of the Sexes.  There's just too much fraternizing with the enemy."  (Henry Kissinger)


My 'sermon' for today is going to be on sexism.  

I'm surprised it has taken me so long to rant about this particular issue. It gets discussed practically once a day in my friendship group and it's one of those important ones. Naturally, I've got a lot to say on it. I like a good argument.  

I would consider myself a feminist. I believe firmly in equality of the sexes and so on. I think a person is odd not to. That is what a feminist is - someone who thinks women are equal to men and should not be discriminated against in any aspect of life. That's it. They don't think men suck and should die. Nor are they all 'butch lesbians'..

There's a lot of hate for feminism now. Girls think it's outdated and not cool. It is still highly relevant. This year is the first where there's been a female athlete representing every country featured in the Olympics. How bad is that? 

Times have changed a little though. There's a difference between being equal and being annoying. It gets on my nerves when women are sexists against guys and moan about sexism against them. It shouldn't work like that.  

I want to exercise a bit of logic. At work, if we need to lug a whole load of boxes around, I tend to delegate to the lad I work with who does kickboxing and works out, rather than struggle with it myself out of a misplaced sense of equality. I like it when a guy offers to walk me home or buys me dinner. It is a nice (and apparently rare) gesture. Equally I will make my boyfriend a sandwich -  sometimes just because I love him, sometimes as it's one of those gestures I can use to trade for stuff I want. Sexism can be used to your advantage.




No comments:

Post a Comment