Sunday 25 March 2012

Your Own Skin

"Beauty, to me, is about being comfortable in your own skin. That, or a kick-ass red lipstick." ~Gwyneth Paltrow

I would like to consider myself a relatively intelligent person and not uncommonly gullible. However, I have a shameful habit which it pains me to admit. I am badly taken in by cosmetic products. I don't mean make-up really. I tend to not go in for make-up much as I dislike the slavish following it has and would hate to wear it just to conform, although I would defend my right to indulge in it if I choose as much as any woman. I resent the amount of time wasted in putting it on. There is nothing more annoying than putting on nail varnish and then wanting to do basically anything  with your hands for about half an hour after. By cosmetic products, I mean things like lotions and creams and butters and polishes and softeners and cleansers and scrubs and moisturisers and balms and bath bombs and bath salts and bath melts and bath oils and..

You get the picture.

This is depressingly stereotypical of me but I can't help this fact. I have a worrying penchant for body butter. At the moment I have a pot of apple body butter, vanilla body butter, honeysuckle body butter, lavender body butter and shea nut body butter. I'm not sure of the actual scientific merit of them but I love the way my skin feels after putting some on. My skin is all smooth, and happy, and smells good. Apart from once, when someone told me I smelt of cake after smearing on vanilla and coconut butter. But that is beside the point.

I'm also annoyingly attracted to pretty packaging. Although aware that I am most likely being targeted and conned into buying a product, I find it impossible to resist. A little while ago I went into Boots, with no intention of buying anything, but came across a particular brand of bath and beauty stuffs called Soap and Glory. Their products include: 'Sexy Mother Pucker' lip gloss, 'Scrub 'em and Leave 'em' body scrubber and 'Off your Face' face cleansing cloths. I basically brought something because the packaging was so impressive. Lush is the same. (If I'm going to advertise for cosmetic companies, I thought I should mention more than one so no one calls me biased.) Lush bath bombs are my absolute favourite and the Immaculate Eggception is the best name for an Easter themed product that I've come across. My third favourite is Bomb Cosmetics, who's Mint Chocolate Chip Shower Butter I am sadly about to run out of.



I used to think I was an intelligent, free-thinking woman but based on this obsession with bath stuffs and appealing packaging, I fear I am just one of the sheep. To be honest though, I don't regret it. There is nothing more pleasurable and calming than a long bath with lots of bubbles, followed by a little body scrub and maybe some body polish. So, if anyone ever wonders what to get me for my birthday, look no further than the pictures below.








3 comments:

  1. Can I safely say that I NEVER would have thought this about you??? Who knew that deep down you're just a girly girl who likes a soak in the tub hehe xD
    And my birthday present to you this year might have to be changed now cos it's the total opposite to this...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd probably like the total opposite too. :) My obsession with body butter and that has come on with college. I'm still generally adverse to make-up though, so don't worry. I am saddened by my growing stereotypical behaviour. :P

      Delete
  2. Was the end of that blog a hit for your birthday? I too like to soak in the bath (no showers for me.... I salve my concience with the fact that the bathe water goes into a water butt to be used on the garden!) I too have body lotions and suvh but actually don't use them a lot but I do love my bubbles preferably relaxing ones like the radox ones!

    ReplyDelete